Global events over recent years have seen Australian schools increase their duty of care with the implementation of crisis management strategies to help protect the safety and security of their group travellers.
From incident alerts to traveller tracking and emergency support services, more schools are working with specialist travel management companies to bolster their crisis management planning, response and support systems. Proactive crisis management helps ensure travelling students and staff feel as safe and secure as possible, while providing peace of mind for their families and the school.
Like all other types of travel, student groups on educational, sporting, music or cultural trips can be impacted by the likes of extreme weather conditions, natural disasters, civil unrest and other forces out of their control.
The schools that can respond most effectively to these situations and best safeguard their travellers are those with a travel policy, a plan that supports crisis management, and those schools with access to:
- real-time travel alert services, to keep their trip leaders informed of any emerging or escalating incidents that could potentially impact their group
- traveller tracking and reporting services to quickly confirm the location of students and staff who may be affected by a crisis situation
- 24/7 operational support and re-booking of flights and accommodation, including liaison with travel suppliers on the school’s behalf
- 24/7 emergency assistance, available to travellers worldwide
- additional local support from on-the-ground meet and greet staff at hotels and airports close to the travellers’ location
- medical or emergency evacuation services, such as those provided by International SOS or iJet International.
- an experienced travel management company that can facilitate crisis management information sessions for the school pre or post a group trip.
Academic travel specialist, Campus Travel, provides the full range of crisis management and travel insurance services as well as its own after-hours emergency support team based in Australia. These team members can view the travel itineraries of school clients at any time, day or night, and provide immediate support to travellers in any location.
Click here to learn more about Campus Travel’s global emergency support services, or contact the Group Travel Team on 1300 724 349 or email email@example.com