Campus Travel

Campus Travel

1300 882 021


Home // News // Industry news // USA TRAVEL BAN LIFTED BY FEDERAL COURT
Visa line

An executive order was issued 27 January 2017 by the President of the United States, which imposed a 90-day ban on entry to the USA for citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.  

However on Friday 3 February, a US federal judge overturned the travel ban for the seven countries as outlined above.  This was appealed by the US government but the appeals court has upheld the ruling and so, for now, the travel ban has been lifted.

Citizens of the seven listed countries (whether dual nationals or not) who hold a valid visa, may now enter the USA as before.

Citizens of these seven countries may also apply for new visas to travel to the USA but should anticipate delays in processing at this time.

What does this mean for previously affected travellers?

At this time, the court’s blocking of the travel ban means that until further notice, people who are citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen may enter the USA as long as they are holding an appropriate visa.

What about dual citizens?

People who are citizens of one of the seven countries and another country will still require a valid visa.  If someone is a citizen of one of these seven countries and a visa waiver country (such as Australia, NZ, and the UK) they are still ineligible for an ESTA and will also require a valid visa.

How do I apply for a US visa?

Campus Travel advises that you apply for your visa at least two months prior to travel.  The process may be expedited but it is best to allow as much time as possible.

You should begin your visa application here

I am a dual national as described above but I do not currently have a valid passport for a visa waiver country.  Can I still get a visa?

No.  You will need to obtain this ‘visa waiver country’ passport in order to apply for your US visa.

I am a citizen of one of the seven countries and I also have US permanent residency, a Green Card or US citizenship.  Can I travel to the USA?

Under the current ruling, these people will all be able to enter the USA.

Can my travel consultant contact the US consulate on my behalf?

It is best if you contact the consulate yourself due to the personal nature of the information and the identity verification they will require.  You should have your passport details handy when you are speaking to the consulate.

I have visited one of the seven banned countries since 01 March 2011.  Can I travel to the US?

Please also see the ESTA FAQ.  Whether a citizen of one of the seven countries or not, you will require a visa to enter the USA if you have visited Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen since 1 March 2011. Contact your nearest US consulate or embassy for further advice.

I am not a citizen of one of these countries, nor have I visited any of them since 1 March 2011.  What do I need to do to travel to the USA?

If you are a citizen of a visa waiver country (including Australia, New Zealand, Britain) you will be required to hold a valid ESTA.  Please visit the official ESTA website for more information.





Talk to an academic travel specialist today.

1300 882 021