Want more space on your flight for free? Or a comfy place to sleep at airports on long layovers? Campus Travel’s conversations with university travellers, together with our own experiences, has given us some great tips to help make your journey easier.
- If you're an academic traveller or student you have access to special industry discounts for flights, accommodation and ground transport. Make sure you know what is available to you by chatting with an academic travel specialist!
- To save time use the electronic departure card via the Brisbane Airport app. It saves your personal and passport details ready for your next trip overseas.
- Fill long layovers at Singapore Changi, Abu Dhabi, Heathrow* or Hyderabad* airports in on-site Aerotel Transit Hotels. Room rates are often less than what you’d spend on food, drinks, entertainment and shopping in the terminal. (*Opening in 2017)
- Want to move through airport security faster? Ditch the jewellery, scarves, hats, belts, coats, jackets and shoes with laces, either before you leave home or before you reach the scanner.
- Love airport WiFi? Remember airport WiFi is public and unprotected. Always browse in a secure (SSL) connection.
- Airfares are like fuel – fly Tuesdays or Wednesdays – the cheapest days of the week.
- Want flight status information ASAP? Just Google the flight number!
- Fancy an upgrade without paying the full price? Look out for Qantas ‘Bid Now Upgrades’ or Virgin Australia’s UpgradeMe Premium Bids, which may be offered to you on unsold seats.
- For the widest long-haul seats out of Australia, choose Singapore Airlines’ seats – at a standard width of 48.25cm – on the Boeing 777-300ER and Airbus A380 aircraft.
- For more room to move on the Qantas A330 at no extra cost, aim for a seat in row 56, where you’ll find extra space to stand and stretch your legs. Meal service is speedy and you're close, but not too close, to the toilet.
- Want to receive a well-located or upgraded room every time? Book through Campus Travel and you’ll always be treated as a corporate guest with member loyalty rates and perks to boot.
- Losing hotel keycards is no longer an issue if you’re a repeat guest at Hilton. You can swan past the check-in counter and access your room using the Hilton Digital Key.
- Who says you need 5-stars for work travel! In Europe, Holiday Inn Express is rolling out its redesigned ‘Next Generation’ hotels with in-room smart TVs, larger beds and flexible work/rest corners – for very affordable rates.
- Want free value-adds like Wi-Fi, breakfast or late check-outs in your hotel stays? Campus Travel’s A+STAY rates give you three well-earned freebies with every booking.
On the ground
- Travelling to a place where toilet paper is scant? Grab a good sturdy napkin when you’re in a restaurant and tuck it in your bag…you never know when you’ll need it!
- Avoiding long lines for public transport tickets isn’t a myth. With pre-paid transport cards like the London Oyster Card and New York City Metro Card, you’ll save both time and your sanity.
Wi-Fi and apps
- Why carry paperwork when you can load your phone with apps before you fly. Our Campus Mobile app gives you everything you need – itineraries, booking changes, check-in, taxi details, weather forecasts, maps and more.
- Roaming internationally is great for travellers but not for your phone bill. Buy a local pre-paid sim when you touch down to avoid hefty roaming costs and hotel internet charges.
For further tips and expert advice to enhance your next work trip, contact Australia’s only academic travel specialists at Campus Travel on 1300 882 021 or enquire below today.